Monday, January 26, 2009

Doubt

Webster's Dictionary defines doubt as, " to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe".

As a human being and as an artist, I am constantly plagued by doubt.

It often masks itself as self-criticism but in reality, I doubt myself.
I doubt my creative abilities.
I doubt my course in life.
I doubt my intelligence.
I doubt my significance to the world.
I doubt the importance of my words.

I doubt, doubt, doubt...all the damn time.

But why?
Why do we doubt ourselves?
What causes us to believe that we cannot put faith in ourselves?
What causes us to question or distrust the impact that we have on the world around us?

As artists, we live to create.
We yearn to express.
And yet many of us (including myself) are unable to simply face the fact that we are talented.
We have been given gifts that allow us to touch others with our voices and our words.
We are able to capture the very essence of life in a snapshot or a portait.

And yet many of us continue to believe that we are not good enough.
Our work is not good enough.
And many times, inside I feel as if I am not good enough.

However, I am taking a stand today.
I refuse to doubt any longer.
I refuse to believe that I am not gifted, talented, beautiful, and wonderful in every way.

Take that stand with me...

3 comments:

  1. amen.
    i will take that stand with ms. s.g.
    i constantly doubt my capabilites everyday. the feeling almost always arises within me whenever i meet someone who does what i do...so much better. it's not that i intended to feel inadequate....however, it just happens that way sometimes....

    yet, i'll take this honorable pledge with you.
    it's about time we take CREDIT for what we've done.

    -riv-

    ReplyDelete
  2. u write well sister. nice blog, maybe u will read some of my books one day
    and happy black history month



    rawdawgbuffalo
    my roll

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm i'm feeling this. Definitely love your writing style. Keep it up...

    ReplyDelete

Place your intelligent comments here :-)